Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Father's Dragon - One More Chapter...please...

Laura loves to be read to. I made a fresh commitment this year to read to her lots and lots. So far we've read a few books and really enjoyed them. I wanted Laura's love of books to grow, so I would rather read to her than have her read. I've limited what I'm requiring her to read to just some school stuff and just reading to her like crazy. If she chooses to read on her own than I let her, but I don't make her right now.

It's working so wonderfully. Right now we are reading My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett. We are halfway through the book. Every day Laura begs me to keep reading. "Please read more!" She begs. Often, I haven't even finished her history reading.

More than once in the last few weeks I'll read Laura a book, and than she'll take off with it later to read on her own. She did that with The Hundred Dresses and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. And she retains so much more when she narrates back to me.

Laura is a good reader. She always tests above grade level. However, I felt like she wasn't liking it as much as she used to when she was younger. She'd stopped picking up books to read and had developed a habit of finding other things to do. That worried me because I'd seen that happen with another daughter of mine and she is now a high school student that doesn't like to read much. So, I'm excited that this is working so well. Sonlight, Ruth Beechick, and Charlotte Mason all push reading to your child until they are older. Ruth Beechick says to read to them as long as they'll let you. Now I understand why. It totally works!!

I decided to make sure my commitment to reading wasn't just for Laura because of school. I'm also reading to Megan every morning while Laura works on her math. We started the day with some Berenstain Bears, Bible stories, and Nursery Rhymes. She loved it, and didn't ask for Dora to be turned on the TV for awhile. Even after we were done reading, she wanted to look at the books herself.

I've read and read on the importance of reading to your children. I think we in America kind of look at reading to our children as something we should do for our young children, but we quit once they start reading well on their own. I'm learning how HUGE a mistake that is, and how great it is to just keep reading to them as much as possible. It grows their brains so much, and is just simply one of the best things you can ever do for your kids.

Shut off that TV. Limit computer time. Break out the books. If your child struggles with reading, read to them. If your child loves to read, read to them. Go to the library and get some free adventures, or make a trip to the bookstore and build a family library.

Best of all, build closeness and family memories by reading to your child. Build character in your child. Laura and I have met lots of people together in books. We talk about the characters. We laugh at the crazy things they do, and cry at the sad things that happen. Sometimes a movie will affect us this way. Sometimes a TV show will be powerful. But with books, it happens all the time.

Reading to my children is more than just a teaching method for me now. It's becoming a way of life. Sometimes I struggle to get the two year old to be quiet when I'm reading to the nine year old. But often my toddler just listens. She may not understand, but she's absorbing. She's learning. It's amazing.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...