Friday, December 19, 2008

Bored To Tears!

I've officially been homeschooling Laura for 9 weeks. For the most part we've enjoyed it. I can tell my daughter is learning. I am slowly getting a feel for what works, what we enjoy, what just doesn't work at all, and what is BORING!
I have done some things a little differently than public school. We LOVE living books. Laura hasn't loved absolutely every book we've read, but she has liked many of them and fallen in love with a few. She loves read-aloud time and is the first to complain if we miss that time in our day.
Laura also enjoys projects. However, most of our projects are from our MPact Girls lessons, like Prims and Daisies.
This year is an experimental year for us to figure out what works in our homeschool. There are so many options. But one thing I've figured out is that, even with the Christian worldview, homeschool can NOT imitate public school. I am bored with some of the stuff we are doing. I don't feel that Laura is thrilled either. She enjoys aspects of our homeschooling, because she loves to read and learn, but she isn't happy about other aspects any more than I am.
So, what do I do? I have a couple weeks break to figure something out. I don't have a lot of money to buy more curriculum. I don't really think it is a curriculum problem, however.
I've prayed about this and thought about this and my conclusion is this...I am a big chicken. I am so afraid that I will fail Laura somehow. I've basically recreated school at home with a few personal adjustments because I don't want Laura to be lacking in anyway from her public school peers. Questions nag at me. Am I covering enough of this or that?
I've come to the conclusion that if I let my fears run my homeschooling, I'll never be anything more than a mediocre teacher. I'll get sick of homeschooling. Laura will pay the price. That is just not acceptable.
When I researched homeschooling, I came across all these positives in lists all over the internet and in books. And I truly believe they are true. I've seen some of these positives in Laura, in me, and in our family even though not all of my children homeschool. Yet, most days I feel like I am pushing Laura to 'do school'. We aren't having much fun, and that is sad. Oh, we enjoy aspects, like the reading together and the Prims. And I understand that academics are important. But if they are boring, will Laura learn?
I don't think Laura will have a blast in all areas all the time. Math is a challenge for her some days so that takes more devotion and more work.
And then there is the area of Character Training. Yeah, Laura is learning about God. However, I don't think I've really been focused on hands-on approaches to training her character. And isn't that one of the most important aspects of homeschooling? If she doesn't have a heart for Jesus and a strong character, then what is the point? Academics? Yeah, if Academics alone were my reason for homeschooling than I'm sure that many curriculums could be followed to give superior acamedic knowledge.
I've been sick quite a bit so I haven't really been consistent with character training. Too easy to let things go when you are sick or haven't slept.
I have a couple weeks to really pray and figure out what I want to offer my daughter in homeschooling.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...