Saturday, March 18, 2017

Simplifying Birthdays

We celebrated my daughter's birthday this last week.  She is now officially seventeen.  How is this possible?  The years really do go by fast.

We had a simple party at home, with pizza and a cookie cake.  My daughter didn't want a huge party, and I can't blame her.  I have no desire to throw a big party and make everything expensive and complicated on my Spring Break.

In my desire to simplify, this is one area where I struggle: Family Parties.  I tend to want to make a big deal out of family celebrations.  I think we need to take advantage of family celebrations, and enjoy our time together. Memories are made in these times.

I used to love the planning and setting up. I would throw a big party for each child each year, complete with pinatas and balloons and streamers.  The pictures I have from those days are cherished.  Loved ones that are no longer with us are captured in smiling photographs.  My children, eyes bright as they opened gifts, chocolate on their clothes from cake and ice cream, are portrayed in various ages and stages of growth.

The joy began to take a toll on me through the years.  Setting up for a party became more of a duty and drudgery.  I felt like it was all on me to set up, get organized, and then clean up when the day was done.  I haven't thrown a big, blow-out party in a couple of years now.

Simplifying means something different to a lot of people.  I loved making the memories.  I seem to have a special skill of complicating life.  And, since my desire is to limit stress, those parties can't happen for five children every single year. 

I loved the idea of  my children having a special day.  It was a way to show them how much I loved them.  Now, I look for other ways.  I like doing things with them, having experiences.  And while a party is definitely an experience, it was losing all meaning with having five of them a year.  Now, if we have a big bash every few years, it will be special.

For instance, we are having a wedding this summer.  This means parties: bridal shower, rehearsal dinner, reception.  And, all of these parties require work.  Luckily, it isn't all landing on me to figure out and prepare.  I am sure there will be a ton of happy memories made.

I am all about making memories.  Recent studies show that buying life experiences make us happier than buying possessions.  So now, when I think of planning a party, I think instantly about what I can do with my child, instead of what I can do for my child.  I would rather find an experience to have with my children than to buy more and more stuff.

So, why throw a party at all?  I threw a party for my family.  My mom looks forward to family gatherings, and really wants to have them.  My daughter didn't care, really.  However, purchasing thirty dollars in pizzas and a giant cookie allowed my mom, sister, and daughters to get together for a couple hours.  There wasn't hours of decorating to do.  I didn't feel the need to buy a sheet cake so fifty people could arrive.  I didn't have to rent a hall.  My small apartment hosted the fourteen people, and the mess was minimal.  My mom got to celebrate her granddaughter's birthday, and I didn't feel like I had to skip meals for a week to afford the party.

There was no Pinterest ideas copied.  There was just food and family and laughter.  That is my idea of a good day.



No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...