Monday, January 9, 2017

First Book of 2107

Megan and I finished our first read aloud of this year!  

 

Technically, we began this story before Christmas.  However, it counts toward this year because that is when we finished it.

We shared The Railway Children.  I read a chapter a night, nearly every night.  In The Railway Children, we found friends. 

The children were delightful.  It is easy to see why this story is a classic. As a mom, I could easily relate to the pain the mother held, and why she kept a few secret from her children.  And yet, I could also relate easily to Roberta, or Bobbie, as she was called.  

Megan simply loved the story.  

While I have other books I am reading, this is the first one I finished this year.  I am not surprised that it is a children's book.  I read a lot of them.  I have discovered that I missed a lot of these really amazing stories as a child.  Reading them now is like making friends with people I should have made friends with years ago. 

Some stories are ageless.  No matter how old you are, a good story will be a good story.


No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...