Monday, May 9, 2016

Facebook Fast- Day 20



Has it really been twenty days of fasting Facebook?  

The first couple of days were difficult.  My habit was to log on and scroll often.  First thing in the morning, while Megan was working on school, pretty much any time I had a spare moment, I would usually hit the little blue Facebook button.

The decision to take a fast from Facebook happened for two reasons.  First, I stumbled upon an experiment Sarah Clarkson wrote about in the book The Life-Giving Home.  She had written about spending the summer, while she was home with her family, purposely not getting on Facebook.  It was inspiring to read about her experience and what she learned from her sabbatical. To read of her spent time reading aloud with siblings, journaling, visiting uninterrupted with loved ones, being with the Lord; all this put a desire in my soul for something similar. 

I was only half-heartedly considering doing the same thing, as Facebook is so prevalent, when I posted an opinion about a current event.  This caused a problem, and I realized that, in our current culture, having an opinion opposite of some immediately brings about harsh words and accusations and even damage to relationships. 

At one time in the past I would have jumped into the debate, desiring only to prove my point and win an argument.  This time, however, I stopped myself and just ended the entire conversation.  My views weren't changed by what was being tossed at me.  My view of the matter was labeled as what I didn't intend, and an argument wasn't going to change hearts. It stops being a conversation in our culture when alternate points of view aren't respected.  It becomes something ugly, with an audience, blasted all over social media. 

I looked at my Facebook that day, knowing that I had support from many others that would agree, knowing that a few would disagree with me, knowing that emotions were high on this topic and many would feel the need to comment and debate... AND NO ONE WOULD CHANGE THEIR MIND!  No peace would be reached. Passionate and determined defenders of their view would soldier on, in the name of whatever side they represented, would sling mud and do what they could for their cause, with words that can't be retracted, uncaring of the potential damage. So, before I was defended by those I knew that would delight in arguing, before I was tempted to allow our family history and past struggles to be mocked on the altar of political correctness, before it got even uglier, I deleted it all and decided to not defend myself. 

Arguments and sarcastic pictures on Facebook or on any other social media site (or even in person) won't change anyone's mind. It causes a lot of tension, high school behavior, and hurt.  "Friends" and family will argue and fight, destroying relationships, all because they want to be right, no matter what the cost, and everyone else had better agree with them.  Yes, I have the right to an opinion.  Yes, free speech says I should be able to express that opinion. But I am a Christian first, and an American second.  Being a Christian says that just because I can do something, doesn't mean that I should. 

I believe that Christians need to engage culture.  However, I have come to believe that much of what we put on Facebook is not engaging culture. We engage culture with our actions, not simply our words.  Are we walking the talk?  Are we praying for those that come against us, or are we simply picking a fight?  It was a challenge at first to kneel down and pray for the person that accused me of spreading hate simply because I don't hold the same opinion. 

I have spent the last twenty days doing other things.  I read.  I pray.  I listen to podcasts. I have discovered the joy of audio books. Despite the fact that I have genuine concerns about things happening in our country, I know the One that is truly in control.  Posting my opinion on Facebook was all about me wanting to share my concerns with the world, when I should have shared them with God first. 

Facebook is easy. We feel passionately about something, and we post our thoughts and feelings all over social media. Imagine how many quarrels would stop if, instead of typing that post, Christians were purposeful about their lives. Hitting that post button is quite simple, maybe too simple. 

My Lord is much more effective at handling situations and touching hearts than a million Facebook posts. Too many Christians are getting their beliefs from Facebook, news, and tv, not the Bible.  Maybe it is time to take a break from culture and be a student of what God says.  At the very least, maybe we should take a break occasionally from all that is taking away from our time on earth with our families and our Lord.  How many times have I heard Christians say, "I don't have time to pray" or "I don't have time to study my Bible," but they spend plenty of time scrolling through Facebook.  I have a lot more time when I'm not endlessly, mindlessly scrolling... And possibly reacting without thinking about it or praying about how I should react or feel first. 

Nearly three weeks later, I can honestly state that the urge to log in has lessened considerably.  My stress level has gone down.  I have things I fill my time with that are much more constructive than endless scrolling. 

I doubt there are easy answers in a country split as deeply as America seems to be.  My mind wasn't changed just because I was disagreed with harshly.  I doubt an argument would have solved anything.  I don't even believe my silence and fast from Facebook will change minds. I didn't make the decision to fast Facebook for any motivation other than I needed to get away from it.   Lawsuits and laws and corporate policy changes don't change minds and hearts. We know this.  Boycotts won't change minds, though I have every intention of not purposely spending my finances in places that I don't wish to support.  That is my decision, not to change minds but so that I know I am not knowingly supporting things with which I disagree. 

My Facebook fast has given me a break from the unending stream of information that most of us don't realize is addicting. My brain may often be like a computer with ten open tabs, but at least I've closed a couple of those tabs and put my energy elsewhere. When I log back on, I will have some decisions to make.  What do I want to see?  What will I post about?  What will I respond to?  Is it worth my time at all? Who will I delete and who will I continue to follow. Should I post pictures so often about my family and our lives?  Do people really care or is it just an acceptable form of voyerism or stalking? Is there a difference between posting pictures for family of my little girl and for the whole world?  Even with a profile on private, access is not ever truly private. 

Honestly, most people post an endless display of political memes, social activist cartoons, animal videos, and useless junk.  What began as a way to keep in touch with loved ones and contact those we haven't seen in years has become, in many ways, a depressive, hostile atmosphere.  Mixed in with all the sarcasm and junk we see occasional glimpses of people's lives, news about local areas where we live or organizations in which we participate, uplifting messages, and articles worth reading... But we have to dig. 

I am in a minority. In the first quarter of 2016, Facebook had 1.65 Billion active users!  That is a lot of people!  Facebook has become as commonplace as McDonalds... And about as unhealthy.  

I do still post on Instagram.  Is that different?  Well... Yes and no.  It is still a social media site, but it seems to function differently.  Mostly I can share snippets of my life through pictures.  My friends are fewer.  I am not drawn as deeply into drama, and I ignore the little I do see.  Life is much more peaceful without a thousand political memes, and I really don't see them on my Instagram account.   

I am unsure how long my Facebook fast will last.  I haven't felt a deep desire to dive back into the quagmire.  Once in that muck once again, I feel I may be trapped forever. A part of me wants to see the statuses of a few of my loved ones, like my grown daughters, but I have a deeper desire to just keep away from something that I know holds a Pandora's box of things I don't want to deal with at this time. I would rather enjoy the life God has blessed me with right now. 







No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...