Thursday, April 21, 2011

Guiding a Child's Heart

One of the reasons I love homeschooling my children is that I have the time to help guide them into a relationship with Christ.  One of the most wonderful things about Heart of Dakota is the way it partners with parents to help nurture a love of Jesus.

Right now we using Little Hands to Heaven with Megan.  Daily we have a topic or two we are encouraged to pray about.  Whether we are praying the suggested prayer that goes with the Bible story, or we are praying about a character issue that the lesson is covering, I am watching my four year old as she is slowly grasping what it means to pray.  Not just the formula prayers before meals or at bedtime, these prayers actually have my little girl talking to God and thinking about her own words and actions.
Gently guiding my daughter into knowledge of Jesus and a relationship with Him is important to me.  I know that ultimately the choice will be hers.  I don't want to rush her or have her make a decision that won't be life long.  I also know, however, that her heart is getting to be at an age where it is open to Christ.  As a teacher of children at home and at church, I understand that there is a window of time where a child's heart is more tender to the things of God.  I love that even my daughter's preschool caters to guiding her heart. 

It isn't just the preschool guide that leads a child to Christ.  My older daughter, using Preparing Hearts for His Glory, has time scheduled in to the lesson plans not just for Bible study, but for Quiet Time with God.  This is important to me.  I can't think of anything more valuable than building the habit of spending regular time with God and building that relationship with her Savior.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...