Monday, November 16, 2009

Some Extra Reading

I picked up a couple books on weather from the library. Laura is starting the study of weather in her new science in a couple days and I wanted to add to what we have.




We are using a text book as a spine for science for the rest of the year. There were a few subjects that I wanted covered that Heart of Dakota wasn't going to touch. I picked up a book and am going to use the library and other resources to supplement. I don't know if this is how I'm going to permanently do things, but for now we are going to try it. Science is an area where I like direction. It's also an area where I like variety. However, I don't plan to stick to using only a textbook. I like living books, so I'm using them as an addition to what we read in the text.


In Heart of Dakota, we are touching on China this week. I picked up a couple books about China that I thought would get Laura's attention. We'll probably read them over the next week or so. I also am considering reading Gladys Aylward when we finish the book about George Muller.


I know we have to move on soon to other topics, but I like adding to what Heart of Dakota has. I didn't get the current book recommended for Read aloud time from Heart of Dakota because I just didn't have the extra finances at the moment. So, instead, I am adding a book here and there. Some go along with the topic we are studying, like the Chinese book, and some are just something I want to read with my daughter.



Laura is finishing up her dinosaurs/fossil study with the book Archaeologists Dig For Clues. I had bought this book awhile back and was waiting for the perfect time to add it to our studies. There could be no better time than right after studying the dinosaurs. I really like the language in this book. It's simple and interesting and educational. Laura commented that she really liked this book.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...