Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Always an Art Project


Laura loves art. That's a good thing because she does a lot of drawing, coloring, and art projects in homeschooling. I find it funny that I once worried that Laura wouldn't get enough art when we homeschooled. Art isn't my thing. I liked to scrapbook, but as for the creative and crafty things, I am not an expert. However, Laura is getting a lot of practice this year.

In History, we are using the Draw and Write through History book. As we go through World History, we have special pictures to draw that coincide with our studies. It's awesome. Laura does a pretty good job, though sometimes she gets lazy and just traces the picture she's supposed to draw step by step.

Many of the Heart of Dakota projects are very artistic based. While I don't do all of them, I do pick and choose some of them. Laura's made cave paintings and all sorts of things.


In Science there is always drawing. I never remember drawing for science. However, Laura draws all sorts of things. She's drawn bugs and flowers and cactus plants. She's currently studying our state birds. She's coloring the birds distinctive colors as she finds out facts about them. I know she may never remember all the birds, but she will recognize many of them now that she has colored them.

Our home is not one I ever considered overly artistic. Oh, my kids love to color and stuff like that. We've made our share of Christmas crafts. This homeschool year has added many challenges and an added depth to our studies with lots of artistic projects. Personally, I may not be completely sold on them all the time. However, I do think there are lots of times where they help with learning by cementing things in a child's head. Laura will remember our study of ancient people when she remembers doing the cave painting.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...