Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Heart of Dakota Brings Art to Life

Laura loves to draw. Preparing Hearts from Heart of Dakota uses a book with their history called Draw and Write through History. Laura loves it! I wanted to include some examples of her work, because this is something she anticipates.

Here is her drawing of Adam and Eve. Noah's Ark. She added quite a bit to this picture than was required.

Her drawing of a giraffe.

This was a project...a cave painting. This wasn't through Draw and Write, but was one of the history projects that we did. She added to this too.



Her mummy.




The Tower of Babel





A Sphinx



We use some of the drawings on our timeline. We put our timeline on the wall. Each week holds a different event in history with a new picture. Having the timeline up really helps to get the flow of history as we study. I didn't think I'd like it, but once we began doing it, I really like it. Now when I look at the cards, I don't see something abstact. I see stories we've been reading and people we've been learning about. I hope Laura sees the same thing.




Now that we've kind of gotten on a routine with the workbooks, I have slowly been adding more and more Heart of Dakota back into our day. I'm trying not to add too much at once. I've also spent more time reading aloud to Laura. I've missed it. Most of the Heart of Dakota read alouds have been done by Dad. He loves it, and I want him to take advantage of it when he can. So, today Laura and I began reading Ralph S. Mouse.





No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...