Friday, December 5, 2008

Playing Hookey

Today, we did no school. I had so many errands to run, and the other children all had only a half day of school.
I did get to Carpenter's Son. I picked up a couple things. I bought Wordly Wise. I liked the fact that it is a vocab/comprehension curriculum. I haven't planned it out yet, but I don't see any reason to wait until after Christmas to begin. I picked up Better Bridges, the next A Beka reader.
Lastly, I bought the book 'Leading Little Ones to God'. It's on the Sonlight list for grade 1 Bible, but the reading level is grades 3-5. I don't think that it will be below Laura. Her heart is still tender toward God. She hasn't developed any shell or apathy. I want to use it during read aloud time. I think we may take turns reading it aloud and then we can discuss what we've read.
I don't want to add too much that we don't have time for everything. I will have to go over our schedule and make sure we take it easy a little. I'm getting better at that. I know I've been guilty of the rookie mistake of trying to do too much.
My main concern for my schedule is that we are having a terrible time getting started in a timely fashion in the mornings. It isn't Laura's fault. I just have a toddler that is having issues with sleeping at night. Dad gets up early in the morning for work. So, when the toddler is awake, so is mama. Then I don't want to get up in the morning. I keep trying to get her on a schedule, but she just goes and goes with a lot less sleep than most. I hope it is something she'll outgrow in time. It makes being consistent in with starting our school days challenging.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...