Monday, April 25, 2016

Facebook Fast

The urge to log in is strong.

Can I do this? Can I fast Facebook for awhile? 

I deleted the little blue button on my phone. It's a simple download away. I've logged out so getting on is more difficult, more time consuming. The page is there, online, should I need it. 

I have been considering this for awhile. I spent the majority of my life not on Facebook, and I didn't feel as if I was missing out. I didn't feel the urge to know what other people were doing.  I didn't feel the urge to place my life up for the inspection of others.  I didn't feel the need to be distracted for so long every day by endless scrolling.

After reading about Sarah Clarkson's experiment with giving up Facebook for a couple months, and how it brought so much peace to her soul, I knew I needed to do something similar.

But it is SO HARD!

I want to see pictures and status updates from my kids that are grown.  I feel connected to them at a time in their lives when they are busy and working and have full lives.  And yet, that connection is often just a gateway into a habit that is not only time wasting, but causes much stress and anger. I'm always scrolling, reading things that often are pointless or make me angry and upset.  

Late last week I realized how disastrous Facebook can be when I voiced an opinion.  I've tried to be careful the last couple of years about voicing opinions that are controversial, because I know it often leads to pointless arguments where anger takes over and no one wins.  However, this time I didn't heed my usual caution. I got tired of feeling like I can't disagree with current cultural opinions due to the backlash. I have learned that many don't fight fair on social media.  If you disagree with their opinion, and that opinion is currently culturally popular, then instead of a fair exchange of ideas, it immediately becomes an attack.  I have seen, if my view doesn't agree with theirs, I am immediately classified as a person that is spreading hate and fear.  There literally is no way anyone can disagree with a current popular view when the debate turns instantly to shutting down the argument with name-calling and accusation.  Even genuine concerns are dismissed in the battle to be right at any cost.

I don't want to fight that battle any longer.  

I went to my husband and I went to God.  I deleted the post and withdrew, knowing that any response would have only created more problems. My husband supported me.  He shares my view, and he knows that things are out of control in a world where healthy debate has been exchanged for trite sayings about love and freedom. He sees every negative thing that can be dredged up in history about our faith is used as a weapon to destroy, and the good that has occurred... The schools, the hospitals, the charities, the relief organizations, the great men and women that impacted history because of their faith... will be ignored and dismissed as irrelevant with the goal to degrade and debase.  

Despite technology overload, data mining, the studies that say people are more socially isolated and depressed than ever with Facebook, and cyber bullying, the draw to log in is still there.  And maybe I'm part of the problem.  Voicing my opinions on Facebook isn't going to change anyone else's beliefs that disagree. It only serves to bolster me. I get support from like-minded individuals, but then arguments will begin in the comments.  The same name-calling and shaming occurs, and both sides of a debate often act inappropriately. 

No one wins. The divide between people grows.  Families are divided, an example of just how deep the divide in our country has grown. No one wants to listen.  No one can disagree with what is popular in a way that doesn't spark intense reaction. Bolstered by Facebook groups and special interests that feed the battle, the fights continue and animosity grows. 

At times, I've had simple things cause others voice negative and hurtful opinions.  If my littlest is playing dressup and is wearing makeup, I hear how wrong it is for a young child to wear makeup, even though she is playing pretend and hasn't left our home. At times homeschool posts have caused upset, as if I am not allowed to be passionate about something I love and believe in and have dedicated eight years of my life to doing well.

I've learned that many people will always find something to complain about, to criticize, to condemn. I would read my facebook page and not feel encouraged, but instead feel angry and frustrated and hurt.

But I don't want to be an angry person.  I believe things that are sometimes counter-cultural, and one of those beliefs is that Jesus doesn't want me full of anger and strife. I can't be who He created me to be if I am full of negativity and frustration.  

He called me to mother my girls, to homeschool, to engage culture in my home and in my writing.  He called me to Himself, and has set before me life and death.  I'm not seeing a lot of life of Facebook.  And, wound up with emotion,  I wasn't giving life either.  My views may be the same, but airing them on Facebook is unwise.  

Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior.  This kind of talk spreads like cancer..."  2 Timothy 2: 16-17a.  

Again I say, don't get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. 2 Timothy 2:23

I am unsure how long my Facebook fast will last, but when I do return, I believe there will be some spring cleaning done to my site.  I love and care for many people, but I don't need to see all the posts and opinions, and maybe I don't need to share them either.  

There has been some discussion among Christian leaders about our responsibility in engaging culture.  While I agree Christians need to engage culture, I believe that best occurs with our vote at election time, around our dinner tables, in serving at the local food pantries, in conversations with friends, in standing strong in our faith and in our beliefs with a confidence that doesn't lead us into foolish arguments.  We engage culture by  choosing carefully where to spend our dollars.  We engage culture by using our God-given gifts, talents, and minds to create and serve and pray and encourage.  When disputes occur, we engage culture by standing firm, with a quiet faith, respectfully disagreeing.  We engage culture by sticking with our spouses thought the difficult times.  We engage culture by sacrificing for what we believe, and not complaining when the world wants to tear us apart, for we know that we don't ultimately stand alone. 

Finally, we engage culture by disengaging at times.  Disengage from the foolish arguments, choosing your battles and strategies carefully.  Pray for the people that hurt you or disagree with you or insult you, asking for the Lord to open their eyes... and to open yours when you are wrong. Disengage from the wasting the gift of precious time scrolling endlessly.  Live your faith out vibrantly and boldly, with your actions and your example, not with simply your opinions on Social Media. 





No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...