Thursday, March 1, 2012

Indianapolis Children's Museum Pt. 4 - Barbie World

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of Barbie.  However, my oldest daughter LOVED them!  She would spend hours playing with them when she was young.  When I was a child, I played with them too.  So did my mother.  The history behind them is interesting.
Megan liked the Barbie exhibit.  She is all girl, so the pink and frilly was perfect for her.
She played with Aunt Kendal on the pretty pink phones.
She took pretend pictures at the runway.

She tried on sparkly, frilly clothes and modeled them on the runway.
She had to model in the mirror too. 
Then, she played dolls with Aunt Kendal.  Ironically, Aunt Kendal used to play Barbies with my oldest too.  Of course, then it was for real and not just some quick fun with her four year old niece.
There was a lot for a four year old girl to do in the Barbie Exhibit.

I thought Laura would be totally bored.  Barbies have never been her thing.  She would get one from well meaning family members, and then lose the heads of them or leave them outside.  She never really cared beyond the first day.  So, I expected the Barbie exhibit to bore her.  But, my daughter is creative.
 Barbie is about fashion.  My daughter loves to sew and design.  She enjoyed playing with the material and dress up mannequins they had on hand.
 She spent quite a bit of time on her design.
After she designed with material, she spotted a wonderful work area to trace and color some designs.
She sat down with enthusiasm at the light board that allowed her to trace some amazing designs.
Her finished designs showed a definite feminine flair.  I kept her designs... for the one day I'll actually get back to scrapbooking. 
The history represented in the Barbie Exhibit was fascinating.  I took several pictures of old Barbie Dolls that were made in years that were special to me or my family.  In 1991 my oldest daughter, the former Barbie nut, was born.  She got a kick out of this picture of Roller Skater Barbie that was put out that year.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...