Thursday, February 2, 2012

When God Says No

Sometimes prayers aren't answered in the way we hope.  It takes a trust in God to push through doubts and keep moving forward.  Today, I was smacked with God saying "no".  Whether His answer is temporary or permanent, I've had to accept His will.  His will can't be accepted with a bad attitude either, even if I am disappointed.

Last July my step-daughter moved in with us full time.  Over the last few months things have been getting sorted out in her life.  Some very serious issues had to be addressed concerning the environment where she had previously lived.  All I can say is that, one day, this girl will have an incredible testimony.  She is already reaching out to other teens in challenging situations.

During all of this mess we had been hoping to be able to bring this child home from public school to homeschool her.  She has struggled with public school since Kindergarten.  Diagnosed with a variety of learning disabilities, she has come away from school feeling like a failure many times.  She works hard, but after all these years of struggle,  there is very little joy in learning.

Today a choice was placed at our feet.  If we want to ensure my step-daughter can remain in our home permanently without a fight, we have to agree to keep her in public school.

I had prayed for God's will in this situation.  It has been a long journey already.  I never expected to have to make a choice on whether to fight for the right to homeschool, or to settle with the ability to keep a child in a Christian, stable environment.  I honestly never thought homeschooling, with all the other issues we have had to deal with, would be a major factor.

So, for now, it looks like we are staying a mixed family.... some homeschooled, one public schooled, and two in college.  I totally believe in homeschooling.  I know how beneficial it is for kids, for learning, for helping to develop a strong faith, but this is out of my hands.  God has said "no".

I have no idea why.  Today, my stepdaughter took her Bible to school.  At lunchtime she gathered a group of girls around her and had a Bible study.  One teacher came by and said she liked Matthew 5.  While I don't understand, I know God can use this girl as a light anyway.  Homeschooling may happen one day in this situation or it may not, but I have determined to trust Christ.  Daily, I will pray for and bless this child before she heads into the schools.

Homeschooling has gained a lot of ground over the years. When it comes to custody issues, however, public schooling is still more respected than homeschooling.  That is just a fact.  Most people who don't homeschool don't understand the benefits.  It is still seen in many instances as something sub-par compared to public school education.  Faith-based homeschooling is seen as even worse than just homeschooling because faith has been so mocked in this day and age.

I spend most of my time blogging about our homeschool adventures and our faith.  However, I love my stepdaughter with all of my heart.  She is a precious girl that is going to have such an incredible testimony and life story to tell one day.  So, if I blog about things in her life that include public school, understand that God has placed us in this spot.  I don't mind having to share things that are in God's plan for us.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...