Monday, November 2, 2009

Rereading Secret in the Maple Tree


I don't tend to re-read books for school. If, after we read a book, Laura wants to read it on her own then she is free to do so. In fact, I encourage that. We read Secret in the Maple Tree by Matilda Nordtvedt last year. It is an Abeka reader. This year I wanted Laura to read the next book in the series called Song of the Brook. When I asked her if she remembered the characters from Secret in the Maple Tree, she couldn't remember a lot of details about the story. So, I am having her re-read the book.

As she reads, she tells me, "Oh, yeah, I remember this." Now that she's started re-reading it she doesn't want to stop. I find that humorous. I may have her read some of it aloud to help her develop her skills in that area. Why should I be the only one reading out loud?

Mostly, I am doing everything in my power to get Laura back into enjoying reading. I am not quite sure what happened. It may have been the influence of one her sisters that doesn't like to read, or it may be just her age, but Laura's attitude about reading had gotten horrible for awhile. Her attitude is improving greatly now with read aloud time every day and with fun, simple readers like the Abeka readers mixed in with other books. She begs and bugs for read aloud time every day.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...