Monday, November 30, 2009

George Muller - A Review


Laura and I have had an adventure for the last few weeks reading George Muller by Janet and Geoff Benge.  All I can say is Wow!

I would highly recommend this book for anyone.  Laura and I were both very sad to see the book end.  I can honestly say that, while I hope some important lessons on trusting God were imparted to my daughter, I learned so much that I don't even know if I have the words.

It's a trying time in our world today.  To read about a man who trusted God so completely while my own family faces tough times has been completely uplifting.

For those of you that don't know, George Muller's story is inspirational.  As a boy and young man he was a thief, even stealing from his father and swindling his friends.  The story of his conversion from a man after his own interests to a follow of Jesus Christ is touching by itself.  However, it is his life after his conversion that just makes you want to reexamine your own life and priorities.  George Muller became a man that trusted God with everything.  Because of this trust, God used George to change the lives of thousands of English orpahns for over sixty years.  George opened and ran an orphanage without ever asking for money.  Instead he just prayed and God provided.  George Muller also opened Sunday Schools and regular schools.  He printed and distributed Bibles.  He supported missionaries with large sums of money that he felt God had provided.  He didn't keep it for himself.  George looked at money as God's money, not his.  Depending and sustained by the provision of God, the Muller house eventually became home through the years to over ten thousand orphans.

This all sounds easy until you read some of the hardships he endured.  He had health issues.  He lost his only son when his son was still very young.  By the end of his life, he had outlived his first wife, his second wife, and his only daughter.  Yet, his love for Jesus never wavered.  His passion for the mission field he felt Jesus had placed him in was incredible.   As the book says;
     "Today the lives of those George touched, as well as the manner in which he lived his own life, are a demonstration to every Christian of the impact a life of simple faith can have."

So many of you our there are facing trying times.  I understand, as my family is facing some of those same tough times.  I encourage you to read this book.  I encourage you to let your children read this book.  It is such a practical example of living a life of faith in Jesus Christ.  It will encourage you that, no matter how tough things are, God loves us.

I've read a couple of the Christan Heroes: Then & Now books written by Janet and Geoff Muller.  Laura and I will begin reading Gladys Aylward soon.  I know several Christian companies use these books as part of their curriculum.  I also recommend them.  They are inspirational.  If you are looking for Christian heroes for your children instead of the array of movie stars and sports figures before them on TV, consider introducing your children to some of the real life people these books are written about.  These biographies are less than $10 a book.  I am so glad that I get to introduce my children to these examples of Christian faith.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...