Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Giggles during Ralph S. Mouse

Oh, the joy of reading aloud! I made a new determination to make reading aloud a priority in our day and homeschool recently. It's a decision I am so happy with, despite the fact that it may take me awhile to truly build a wonderful library in my home.

Laura and I read Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary the past several days. We loved it immensely. It is a book she could probably read on her own if she desired, but I decided to read it to her. I don't think it was one she would have picked on her own. She tends to pick different things. However, she loved it as we read it together. We were supposed to read two chapters today and save the last chapter for tomorrow, but I couldn't stop. We finished the last three chapters in one sitting.

The most amusing part was that Laura couldn't stop giggling. The town and the name of the newspaper in the story is called Cucaracha. Every time I read that name, Laura would begin to snicker. She couldn't help herself. She thought the name was funny.

It made reading time even more enjoyable for us. This is why I LOVE read aloud time. Moments with my daughter laughing over the name of a town and making memories in the process. I don't know why I let reading to my child become something last on the list if I had time. Now I make time. It's so worth it to me and for her.

Now time to come up with reading time with the toddler on a daily basis.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...