Saturday, October 24, 2009

America's Godly Heritage


I was listening to a speaker today talking about America's Godly Heritage. The speaker was talking about how many Christian Americans are deceived into inaction. We have two or three generations now that have been educated in public schools where God has not been allowed to be a part. The Godly heritage of our country has been stripped from our textbooks. Prayer has been removed from our schools.

The speaker was urging parents to not only educate their children about the Godly heritage of the United States, but to educate themselves. Our children are more apt to learn about our true history if the parents are educated about this truth themselves.

I thought about this for a bit. I don't know many people that know or understand our Christian heritage. I've been reading about it myself over the last few weeks, and I feel like I don't know or understand very much. I've been reading The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and David Manuel. Truthfully, I'm fascinated. There is so much I didn't know! The most I ever learned from my textbooks were that many came to America for religious freedom. There is very little mentioned about what that meant. Persecution in other countries is sometimes cited as a reason, but details are not given.

I want to understand. I want to be able to give my children their history. I am glad that as a homeschool family I can give this to my children. However, I think more than just homeschool families need to know and understand. I think all Christians should be educated. Maybe as I learn God will show me how to do that.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...