Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Year Round Schooling?

Since we began our school year, I feel like I've been re-teaching Laura everything we learned last year. This is especially true with math. Last year she made such strides. By the end of the year she was multiplying and dividing. Today I had to reshow her how to borrow in subtraction. Once she did a few problems, she was getting it, but I have to wonder if summer just fried her brain.
I got online yesterday and began researching this issue. Last year was my first year homeschooling Laura, and I really didn't begin until October. I found that this is a common problem the schools face. In fact they spend 4 to 6 weeks every fall reviewing the previous year. In our district, it actually takes longer than that because we spend the first few weeks preparing for standardized testing that takes place in late September. School funding depends on these test scores, so the public school tries to prepare the kids for a test instead of teaching the classes. Review actually goes through mid-October for some subjects. That is two months of review every year.
There are a couple solutions. The first is to spend a little time over the summer keeping skills fresh. Our local school district does this too. They have a summer school program for kids. The kids that struggled are urged to go, but so are a lot of kids that do well just so their skills won't go down over the summer. The school calls it Jump Start, although I wonder if it really helps when it is held in June and school doesn't begin until mid-August.
The second option is to school year round. Laura would still school the same amount, but she would spread it out so her summer vacation was shorter. She would instead take the time through out the rest of the year to take short breaks.
This is the one that intrigued me. I ran the idea past Laura, and she wasn't altogether enthused. She wants to be the same as her friends and sisters that are in public school. I can understand not wanting to be different. However, she doesn't make the ultimate decisions.
According to all the different things I read, kids that school year round rarely need the extensive review. They progress faster. Frequent breaks means they are less likely to experience burnout through out the year.
Let's be honest. Homeschooling does not take as many hours in a day as public school. With a bit lighter workload in the summer, a child could do a day's work before lunch and still have the majority of the day to play, swim, go to ball games, etc.
I am not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I am leaning toward year round schooling because I believe it will solve a lot of issues for Laura. I do not want another fall where I feel I have to go back and re-teach my child everything she learned. I read yesterday that a child could lose up to 25% of math and reading skills over the summer. TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT!!! I guess it is a case of if you don't use it, you lose it. It goes with muscle tone, stewardship, and learning. Is it a life priciple? I think it might be.
I talked with my high school homeschooler about this topic. She was actually supportive. Her motives may be more self-seeking, but she said that she will probably just keep working and finish high school early. She wants breaks, but she doesn't think she'll take 3 months off in the summer. She's not used to finishing her work this quickly. She's used to taking a whole school day plus homework in the evenings. She never realized how much time was wasted at public school.
Will I miss long summers of sleeping late and being lazy? That doesn't happen much with a toddler anyway. We will still take summer breaks. In fact, I think there is more field trip opportunities in the summer. There isn't a lot you can do in a small town in the winter when snow is flying.
Many of the year round homeschoolers I read about live in warmer climates. There, summer becomes unbearably hot and the children are all inside the air-conditioning anyway. Here in the Midwest, that isn't usually the case. We have sweltering summers, but they are usually shorter than in the south. The winter is still when we will do the bulk of our work. However, a week break here and there would be nice.
I need to sit and work out a calendar. It needs to be flexible. I may not even have it set in concrete at first. I can tell when Laura and I are getting stressed. I may just take the same vacations as the school throughout the school year, but add on extra breaks and shorten summer vacation. I'm not sure of anything yet, but I do know this idea has intrigued me more than any other I've read.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...