Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tomorrow we Begin

We officially begin homeschooling tomorrow. I have nearly everything ready. I may have to get a couple copies of things, like the poem Laura is studying this week and my 180 days chart that I fill out in case it is needed. Other than that, we are ready. I've planned out Laura's grammar and math for the week, as well as her handwriting that I am having her work on to improve her skills.
The big debate has been between dictation and spelling. Heart of Dakota follows many of Charlotte Mason's philosophies like dictation. I know it is probably wonderful, but I've never used it either in homeschooling or in my own education. I grew up with spelling lists. My other children have used spelling lists. My husband grew up with spelling lists. I have always been a good speller, so I'm having a hard time letting them go and trusting in dictation.
I picked up a spelling book last week. I think I'll play around with the dictation awhile before I jump in head first without the lifeboat of familiarity.
I love the Charlotte Mason philosophies. I am a living book nut. I love that Laura learns this way. With Heart of Dakota, it's all put together so neatly. History and Science seem to be tying in together in a really amazing way. I'm excited to begin tomorrow, but had to have the familiar spelling.
Grammar is easy to plan. Mostly we are using about a page per day. We are using Saxon math. One lesson per day seems to be the easiest route. It may get a little overwhelming when we get to some tougher lessons, but for now it's all review anyway.
I would love to use Drawn Into the Heart of Reading for Laura's reading program. However, I didn't have the funds at this time. So, I'm using the list they use and some Sonlight selections to come up with my own program. It means a bit more work for me, but it couldn't be helped at this time. I'm hoping to be able to purchase DITHOR mid year or by next school year at the latest.
I'm still working on my blog. I've changed a couple things and switched a few things around. Mostly I've been planning for school. But, I am grateful to have the ability to post my blogs that I missed over the summer.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...