Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Prom - will my younger girls miss out?





**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Both of my older girls went to Prom this year. They looked beautiful, and I took tons of pictures. Later, I thought about whether Laura or Megan would miss out if I was still homeschooling them during their high school years. Would they feel like they missed out on a benchmark in their lives?
I asked a friend of mine that was homeschooled through highschool. She kind of laughed. She said that her boyfriend was in public school and she went to his prom with him twice.
I haven't found anyone that missed going to a prom because they were homeschooled. But, as I prayed about it, I felt at peace. Laura and Megan may get to go to prom, or they may not. I don't know if I will be homeschooling in 7 years. However, if I am, and my daughter feels like she is missing out because of a fancy dance, then I have not put enough other things in her life to fulfill her. Why does the highlight of her high school years have to be prom? Why can't it be a trip (for missions or just for fun), or any of a hundred other things? I felt like God told me that, while my older two enjoyed Prom, if he led me to homeschool my younger ones, he would bring things and people into their lives to more than make up for what they might miss.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...