Monday, December 15, 2008

Second Semester Planning


As insane as it sounds, I think I like planning lessons. Many of the Box curricula advertise that one of the benefits is the planning is already done. I personally like figuring out what to do and cover, searching for just the right book or idea. My frustration is that I have only been homeschooling for a short time and don't really have any experience about what is good and what isn't. I research and look at what is working for others.
The next semester will need to be planned out over Christmas Break. I think some things will stay the same. I like the Living Books approach to History, so we will stick with that. I have kind of a blended approach to History. I have a 1982 Bob Jones' Heritage Studies grade 3 book that we are using. It will only take me through the signing of the Constitution. I only use it as a supplement. Since we will begin the American Revolution in January, we will be finished with the book soon.
I got my Living books list for History from Sonlight and OurLosBanos.com homeschool resources. I don't use everything from either source, but I do like their choices most of the time. Sometimes I have to use something different than the recommended book if I am relying on the local libraries for the books.
I don't like the science I am using this year, but I don't want to purchase anything new either. After the break, Laura will begin the study of animals. I can easily supplement the ACE paces with library books. In the spring I want to do a butterfly experiment and visit a zoo.
I am content with the Bible program I am using this year. That won't be a factor until I begin to plan fourth grade.
Math and Language Arts will stay the same. I want to use Times Tales with Laura when she gets to that point in multiplication. The ABeka Language Arts is new. The only puchase I know I will have to make in these areas is in handwriting. Laura is going to need to move on in her handwriting from just learning how to write the letters to joining them together in words.
In reading for this year, Laura will continue to use the Abeka readers. I also want to complile a list of Sonlight literature choices that are available at the local libraries. With our finances right now and the economy, I don't want to make a bunch of purchases if I don't have to.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...