Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Finished with Daisies

For this year I did not need to have homeschool Bible Study for Laura. First, I consulted with Laura's father. He wants Laura to learn about the Old Testament. As a Sunday School teacher for 4th through 6th graders, he says that most of his students don't know much about the Old Testament. They don't know the stories well or who even some of the main people were. So, I got down an old Bible Story Book simply called The Book that Tyndale made. Laura reads one or two stories per day.
Laura is also in MPact Girls (formerly Missionettes). She is currently in Stars, which is the program for 3rd - 5th grade girls. For Stars she is to read the entire New Testament in three years. So, we read a few verses of the assigned reading every morning.
Our church had stopped had the Missionettes/Royal Ranger programs a few years ago due to lack of a Royal Rangers Leader. (Royal Rangers is the boys program.) When we restarted it, Laura had missed both the Daisies Level and the Prims Level. However, the rules state that she can go back and complete up to 2 programs she may have missed. Not many girls undertake this as it is a huge commitment. When I decided to Homeschool Laura, I knew that she would then have the opportunity to do these programs as part of our Bible education.
With each program come badges and awards. However, this is such a wonderful program. I wanted to do this with Laura not for what she might earn but what she might learn.
For the Assembly of God churches, MPact Girls and Royal Rangers is a Christ-based Scouting Program. We have some children that do this and Boy/Girl Scouts. Some children do this instead of Boy/Girl Scouts.
As soon as Laura tells her final verse and shows her craft and Activity Pages to the Daisies Leader, she will have finished the Daisies Program. Daisies is actually a one year program for Kindergarten girls, but the activities are fun for many ages. The lessons are simple but to the point. I think Laura enjoyed this program. It took us longer to get it done, but that is my fault and not Laura's. I just kept putting it off to do other things academically. God called me on it and I fixed my priorities.
Next Laura will begin Prims. Prims is for First and Second Grade girls. She needs to earn roughly 18 badges to complete the program with Honors. Like Daisies and Stars, there are 4 Lessons with an Activity Page for each. There is also a craft and a memory verse per lesson. Some of the different badges are Prayer, Kindness, Health, Music, Friendship, Reading, Earth, Family, Animals, and Community.
I know some of the things I have chosen for Laura are kind of below her age range. I chose to do Kindergarten through Second Grade work. The book Leading Little Ones to God is usually for younger children. But a part of me thinks that, for this year, getting to basics and really just learning about Jesus and His love for us is more important than an in-depth study. There will be time for that in the upcoming years. I want to touch Laura's heart for Christ, not just her mind.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...