Monday, November 17, 2008

Re-figuring Language Arts

Last night I sat down to do some planning for this week's lessons. Laura had begun adjectives, and she was to begin predicate adjectives. "Wait a minute," I thought to myself. Laura had not studied subjects and predicates yet.
So, I am switching the order of things in the Language Arts book. I tested Laura with the ACE diagonostic test. She is at a fourth grade level for their company with only one third grade pace needed to fill in a gap. I've thought about buying a couple just to see how Laura does with those compared to the Harcourt books. I know, Laura hates the Science paces. However, I wonder if the reason she dislikes them so much is because they are too easy. I never tested her before buying them.
I researched some internet sites for free games and stuff. I may just use them to supplement here and there. I really don't want to buy anything else right now with Christmas coming unless it is a necessity.
Being new to homeschooling, I am bound to make mistakes. The Harcourt books are alright, but I don't like they way they are laid out. I'd like to buy a better, more complete subject line...but financially I just don't have the money this year. So, I am looking for ways to ensure that Laura's education is full and complete.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...