Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Science topic begins Tomorrow

Despite the fact that we have to wait a couple weeks to see the finished product with the Bone experiment, we are moving on from studying the Human Body. Tomorrow we begin to study with the ACE paces as our spine.
I have read so many mixed reviews about ACE. Some of the reviews are so negative about ACE's academics. Other reviews talk about ACE being such a blessing. I want a strong Christian-based curricula at this point. ACE is definitely Christ-based. I bought a handful of the ACE science paces for Third Grade. I went through the first one I plan to cover and wrote out the topics that it covers. Then, Laura and I went to the library and checked out a couple books to supplement the Pace.
In the first Pace Laura will learn about Clouds, Weather, The Seasons, and Oceans. I checked out a couple books for clouds and a couple about weather. There was a lot of choices, even in our small library, but I didn't want to overwhelm Laura. (If you look at our lists, we are reading quite a few books. Some are small, however, and don't take but a day or so to go through. Either that or we only read a couple pages here and there.) Some of the reviews seem to say that the Paces are enough on their own, and they might be. But for me, I like books. I need the Creation base because I never had it in school and I want that part laid out for me. I like having workbooks supplemented with living books. I think it helps to keep things from getting boring. And, at this point, I like having tests in the Paces so I can truly know if my daughter is learning. I realize that is a newbie thing, but I am a newbie so I am not stressing about that.
One of the blogs I read recently said that all the curricula I use is just a tool. I can tweak it, supplement it, skip some of it. I don't have to follow an exact plan unless I want to. I liked that. There are things I want an exact plan on since this is all new to me. But, I am enjoying playing with different things too. We'll report back on how things go. If Laura loves it, I may research doing other subjects this way. If she hates it, I'll look elsewhere.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...