Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Christian Character Education

This is my fifth week homeschooling. It has been fun so far, with some frustrations thrown in for good measure. So far I feel like I have been focusing so much on academics that I may be missing some of the vital things I wish to accomplish with my daughter.
I think one of the benefits of homeschooling is character training. With public schooling, I always felt that time was such an issue. Everyday felt rushed. Get up and hurry to get ready for school. When school was over there was activities, homework, dinner, and by then if there was any time left the kids just wanted to veg in front of the TV or play. Getting chores accomplished on a consistent basis usually just didn't happen.
I want Laura to develop good habits. God instructs us to be good stewards of our lives, which includes our money, our things, our time, and our lives. Hopefully, in the next few days I can come up with some good ideas for chores to teach responsibility. Right now Laura is supposed to pick up her room and the living room every morning. She does alright, but sometimes it's hit and miss.
I want to take a character trait and focus on it for a few weeks or a month. I know KONOS does this, but I don't necessarily want to wrap our whole schooling around this. I like the traditional method, which in some aspects is character training in itself. I think this would be a good idea if I can incorporate this with our Mpact Girls Prims lessons too. I guess I have more research and praying to do to know the best way to go about this.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...