Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Bible Studies in Homeschooling

 



We normally use something else for Bible.  (I have loved CLE Bible for years.) This school year I decided to add in what Heart of Dakota schedules and just do both.  Why?  

Both programs are excellent.  They have a very different focus. CLE Bible is a great way to learn the chronology of the Bible and study the major themes carefully.  It takes a student through the Old Testament and then the New Testament at least a couple times.  It’s a slow walk through the Bible that cycles back around with increasing detail and skills as the child matures.  

Heart of Dakota goes through the Bible during Creation to Christ. However, then it doesn’t do so again until high school.  Instead, it takes books of the Bible and studies them more in-depth.  For instance, Preparing Hearts studies Psalms; Resurrection to Reformation studies Philippians; and Revival to Revolution studies Hebrews; etc.   Many of these are inductive studies that teach the student how to dig deeper into the Bible and apply what they learn to their lives. 

I love the idea of both.  I also love that Heart of Dakota’s program teaches children to have their own personal Bible time and incorporates music quite often.  

I hesitated to add more to my child’s day, and am very selective.  She does do some extra reading.  She also takes piano lessons once a week.  I felt that being thoroughly grounded in the Word was vital.  It’s an addition we both enjoy.

We work through both programs together.  Both could be done independently.  There have been seasons when doing the work independently was important.  Right now, however, I feel that doing the work together leads to very important discussions.  

Will we always do all the work together for Bible or so two programs?  We won’t always do two programs.  I’ll make a decision in high school which program I want to do.  There will be no need to do two Old or New Testament survey classes.  We might always do them together.  I did Bible with my older girls until graduation and it was amazing. 



No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...