Sunday, February 4, 2018

Frustration with Dust Jackets

For a long time, I simply purchased books on my Kindle.  I enjoy my Kindle.  The portability of being able to take a library with me wherever I go is appealing to the bibliophile in me.

Lately, I have missed physical books, though.  I miss the feel of turning the pages with my fingers and the sensory experience that comes along with a physical book.  I enjoy the weight of the book in my hands.  I crave leaving behind screens, even a basic Kindle that has little other use than reading a book.

I guess I haven’t been traveling enough lately to need the storage of my Kindle.  And a paperback hasn’t been what I want either.  I want the hardback books.  I want the durable, let me not worry about ripping your cover while I shove you in my purse hardback. 
 
The Dust Jacket of my New Joyce Meyer Book

Hardbacks have only one drawback for me...  the dust jacket.

Dust jackets are the paper cover put on hardback books that have the cover art, the book synopsis, the author information, and more.  It’s paper.  It can often be quite pretty, but it drives me crazy.  

They tear.  The book falls out of them.  The are slippery when you are trying to read the book.  I struggle and fight with them the entire time I’m reading the book.  So, I often remove them.  


I have noticed my youngest daughter does the same. 

I have heard the arguments for the dust jacket.  They protect the cover from scratches and scuffs, from bleaching the sun can cause, from wear and tear.  A book without the dust jacket loses most of its value.  On and on, I have read the reasons why the dust jacket is important.  

I still don’t like them.  



The new Joyce Meyer book is $24.  On Amazon, it’s under $16.  When I invest in a book, often I will purposely choose the hard-back.  To me, they are more durable and should be beautiful.  They should be timeless.  They should be durable.  I will read a good book over and over.  I want the book to last.  Know what is unappealing to me?  Outdated dust jackets from ten years ago.  The cover underneath is usually simple and timeless.



I found a beautiful volume of Emily Dickinson poetry in a rich, brown leather under a torn, faded dust jacket.  The prettiest surprise was Caddie Woodlawn.  I bought the book used years ago because it was my favorite as a child. The paperback copy I had was gone, so I bought a used library copy.  The dust cover was covered in cheap, clear plastic to protect the book.  Under the plastic, the paper of the dust jacket was torn and faded.  When I removed it, a vibrant green greeted me, with a gorgeous picture and an embossed title.  

Studying library science, I have learned that libraries will use plastic covered dust jackets because of all the different people that handle the books.  Understandable.  Looking at my own shelves, I have this mix of paperback and hardback. It’s like a Crayola box vomited, with all the colors and chaos.  I want timeless, simple beauty.  I want my personal books, my personal library to be a reflection of me, of who I am.  

And so, I have begun removing dust jackets and placing books on my shelves without them.  I plan to invest in hardbacks and slowly eliminate some of my torn and tattered paperbacks.  Of course, I have many paperbacks for homeschooling and personal use that are in excellent shape.  Sometimes that is the only choice.  Sometimes, it comes with the curriculum package.  Sometimes it’s simply more affordable.  I also have digital libraries on my Nook and Kindle. However, I have fallen back in love with hardbacks and will be investing in more of them.  The dust jackets will accumulate in a bin or box until I decide to get rid of the book.  




No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...