Thursday, March 16, 2017

Kisses from Katie - A Review

I am halfway through this book, and already my eyes have opened in some overwhelming ways.  I bought Kisses from Katie as a supplement for next year's World Georgraphy.  When my teenager studies Africa next year, she will read this book about Uganda.

But this book is eye opening.  A sweet, white, nineteen year old girl goes on a short-term missions trip, and her entire life changes.  Instead going back to the United States and following her parents' plan for her life:  college, marriage, children; Katie decides to go back to Uganda and serve for a year.  In that year,  God changes her, and she becomes the mother of a group of orphaned little girls.

How can a heart not be touched by this novel?

God has led me to minimalism, to simplifying, to living with less.  And, until now, I only had a vague idea as to why He would lead me in a way that is so counter-culture.

I just finished a part where Katie, during a time of being home and taking college classes, is writing in her journal about the stark differences between her life in America and her life in Uganda.  Her words are stirring.
   
"...What has been the biggest shock to my system, the huge disconnect, is that I have stepped out of my reliance on God to meet my needs.  I 'miss' Jesus.  He hasn't disappeared, of course, but I feel so far from Him because my life is actually functioning without Him. By 'functioning,' I mean that if I am sick, I go to the drugstore or to the doctor.  If I am hungry, I go to the grocery store.  If I need to go somewhere, I get in my car.  When I need some advice or guidance, I call my mom or go plop on my roommate's bed...
I keep forgetting to ask God first to heal me, to fill me, to guide me, to rejoice with me.  I have to set aside 'time to pray' in the morning and at night instead of being in constant communication with Him.  In Uganda, because I was so physically 'poor,' I was completely dependent on God and spiritually as wealthy as ever."

Why am I so overwhelmed by this?  Does this mean God is calling me to a third world country?  Probably not, but He is preparing me for something.  The complete and utter disconnect I feel lately is leading to something.  My frustration with mediocre Christianity is leading somewhere.  My feeling that I don't fit in is for a reason.  And, while I don't have all the answers yet, I know the one that does.  He has a plan.

I don't know if the book will touch the life of my teenager like it is touching mine.  I pray that it does.  I pray that the example set before me and my teenager and all that read Kisses from Katie will lead them to a deeper relationship with Jesus, and possibly a walk away from materialism and the American Dream Christianity that seems so prevalent, but is so empty.

I don't think Americans need to go live Uganda to have their eyes opened.  I just believe God needs to touch them where they are and show them that this world is a tent world... it is only temporary.  We strive too much for this world, for ourselves, and not enough for helping others and for the world to come.


No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...