Monday, December 12, 2016

Technical Difficulties Resolved

I almost started a new blog after Blogger and iOS experienced technical difficulties.  I am hoping this new app will allow me to keep the homeschool blog I have had for over nine years.


I don't own a laptop, and so all my blogging must be done either on my phone or on my desktop.  (This will be remedied in the near future, but it isn't something that I can do now.) However, my photos are almost entirely taken by my phone, as is the case with many in this new digital age.   Transferring the photos to my computer is a time-consuming pain.  Blogging through the internet browser on my phone was difficult and not very user friendly.  Desktop mode on a phone made pictures and links very difficult. So, when the Blogger app stopped working, I began researching other blogging formats. For two months I have played with them.  Wordpress is pretty user friendly.  However, my blog has nine years of posts, a history of our homeschool, since the first day I began.  Transferring nine years of posts was a bit overwhelming!

I have all the posts, all the years I researched, all the trials and triumphs.  It is not just a homeschool history, but a family history as well.  There were so many moments celebrated and blogged about, and I don't want to lose them. Blogger was the easiest format when I first began, and I have stuck with it through the years.  It was the cheapest way to have my own domain.  And while I haven't had a huge number of followers, that has never been the reason to blog. I don't need another social media popularity contest, but a way to publish all the years of our journey. 
 

This morning, as I looked at the fact that we are nearly half-way through our school year, and I realized I hadn't blogged for two months, I checked the App Store again.  The itch to blog has been strong.  I figured a company would spear-head the design of an app that would easily interface with Blogger.  It cost me a few dollars, but I am hopeful that this new app will allow me to blog our journey once again.  So far, it is easy to use.

I plan to spend some time working on my blog and updating it.  I love my little blog.  I'm not an expert writer.  I don't have many incredible homeschooling tips that someone else hasn't passed along to me.  I haven't written curriculum.  I am simply a Mom that loves homeschooling, believes in it, loves her family, and loves the Lord.  I have been homeschooling for several years, tried numerous methods and curriculum, and has tried to record the journey. Like reading old journals or looking at a family photo album, reading through my old posts is sweet and funny.  The things I focused on when I began are so different than now.  Some of the struggles, I have noticed, are the same.  I still struggle to find a perfect math curriculum.  I still love reading to my children. I am still learning how to teach, even after graduating two students!  

If you have joined me at any time on this journey, I thank you!


No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...