Monday, March 5, 2012

Rediscovering McGuffey

I was looking through the numerous books that adorn my shelves the other day when I came across the McGuffey Reader that Laura and I have started and stopped at least a half dozen times. Ironically, It is always a decision I make. It has been the first book I cut when we get time crunched or when I think Laura is overloaded.

Reading through this book, I was totally enchanted. It is so perfect! The vocabulary is amazing. The moral stories are intriguing and rich. This was only a second level reader, but that didn't take away from the story interest even for me. This wasn't the childish, watered down rubbish that seems to have taken over the kids' section of the library.  A truly great book will hold the interest of many ages.

I sat down to plan out the rest of the school year. It quickly became obvious that our delays and rabbit trails and times we were side-tracked have us not completing everything by the end of the year. This didn't bother me, though it would have in the past. Instead, I calmly made out a schedule. I was easily able to add the MsGuffey back in without it being too much.

We have been introduced to so many wonderful old books in the last few years. Laura loves them. I was surprised at that. However, Yesterday's Classics have been a huge part of the curriculum we have been using.  Adding in others, like the McGuffey's, seems only natural.


No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...