Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Absorbing the Sun

This week has had temperatures in the 70s and 80s.  I've cut school short more than once to tell the girls to get outside and enjoy the beautiful fall weather.  It won't last long.  I know that our beautiful weather will turn cold soon.
Laura and Megan LOVE playing outside a lot.  I encourage it.  So many kids don't get to just be kids in our hurried, high-pressured life.  I think many kids miss out on simple pleasures, and on learning experiences that can never be replicated in a classroom.
Megan and I are reading books from the library about Autumn.  She loves reading about leaves and why they turn different colors.  After we read, we get to go and see the different colors in the trees all around us.  She is learning and not even realizing that this is "school". 
Yes, my daughter is in a jacket but barefoot.  It was too warm for the jacket.
Laura may know all about changing leaves.  She has read about it over and over in our studies.  The wonder of being 11 on a beautiful fall day is just too irresistible to pass up by sitting inside.  "Go outside and absorb the sun." I tell her.   I know that soon there will be cold weather and snow.  Enjoying outside now is important.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...