Saturday, August 1, 2009

Patiently Waiting

Is it August already? I am trying to get things for school organized. Part of the expenses is internet. It's just a necessity in this day and age with High Schoolers and a homeschool child. I miss mine, but hopefully I will get it back on soon. Life isn't the same for so many of us. The recession has hit our area pretty hard. It seems like everyone we know is barely working or unemployed. It's sad to see people that have been at their jobs for 20 or 30 years lose their jobs as more businesses close.
My husband's hours have been cut so severly that he finally filed for unemployment. He'll make more on unemployment than he has working. My hope is that with my husband, it will only be until late fall at the latest when his job usually picks up.
This has made getting Laura's curriculum quite difficult. I still have things to get, and I'm still doing my best to use Heart Of Dakota. I have a large majority of the books, but I am still missing many of the optional ones and the study guide. Plus, I need to get Laura's English program. Wow. I sit and wonder how I am going to get it done. If I start Laura with her sisters she will begin school August 13th. If I don't have all her stuff, she'll just have to wait. Ironically, I was thinking of starting her after Labor Day, but wasn't sure. The decision may be out of my hands.
I feel I'm more comfortable this year compared to last year when I began. I'm not as nervous. I know I have a lot more to learn, but I am so happy that I made the decision to homeschool. I registered my teenagers for public school, and just kept thanking God that I didn't have to go to the elementary and deal with it all. I know that's petty, but the highschoolers were enough of a pain of details.
A part of me is sad that school is almost ready to start. We may be broke, but summer is so relaxing and slower. This has been such a mild summer. It may get hot soon, but the 80s it has been running is perfect.
Well, time to get off here for now.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...