Friday, July 20, 2018

Graduation and Memories


Earlier this summer, my daughter graduated from homeschooling.  How fast the years have flown.  We held an open house for my girl, with family and friends gathering to help celebrate the day.

I wanted to take a look back at the memories.  We began homeschooling in 2008, when my girl was in the third grade.  She was my first homeschool student.  I would later homeschool two of her older sisters, both of whom graduated from my homeschool.  I still have one student, a girl entering sixth grade this fall.   With seven years left in homeschooling, I have more behind me than ahead of me.

Now, for the memories...
To My Daughter;
We started homeschooling in the third grade.  I had researched, but I really didn't have much idea what I was doing.  I only knew that God wanted me to do this.  I wanted lots of books and reading and to develop a love of learning in my girl.  We started that first year with basics, much of which I bought used at a Christian bookstore.

The second year, I had two students.  It was a scary time, jumping into homeschooling high school when I barely had a grasp on elementary.  My girl began fourth grade.  I used a planned curriculum this year.  I soon found out that it was a little advanced for my girl, so I switched to something else for the school year. 


With science experiments and read alouds, homeschooling began to be fun.  We spent a lot of time together, enjoying stories and learning together.  I began to relax... somewhat... and enjoy the process.  I still threatened to send her to public school every so often, when she had a lazy day, but I never really believed any longer that I would follow through.
I tried to take advantage of every opportunity, however small.  A trip to pick up an older sister meant stopping and enjoying sites in a new State.  It might not be worldwide travel, but it was a chance to see a different place and hear a different accent. 
As we moved forward, we painted and studied.  There were some priceless memories. I wouldn't trade them for anything. 

 One of the greatest delights the new skills that we had time to explore.  Cooking became a favorite. 
We switched curriculum a few times, bouncing back and forth between two or three favorites.  I was so proud when the math skills that had been such a battle finally took off and you were more than ready for high school math on time.  I was stunned at the talents that began to form, the poetry you wrote, the drawings you began to draw. 
You began to grow into a young woman, smart and witty. 
Before I blinked, you were a teenager.  The years flew by.
You grew into such an amazing young woman so quickly.  The last couple of years of homeschooling, you didn't need me much.  Except for the occasional questions, you conquered you education with ease.  Intelligent and, as we would soon learn, hardworking as you began your first job.
You set a goal two years earlier to graduate with a near perfect GPA.  You did.  I don't know where God will take you, but I know that you can do whatever you need to do in life.  You are intelligent and funny and beautiful and hard working.  I am very proud of you.





No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...