Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Homeschooling while Sick

I woke up today not feeling well.  Congested, losing my voice, and wanting to go back to sleep, I got up and started the day anyway.  😷



A couple hours later, I gave up and laid back down.  Feeling yucky is no fun, so I think I will take it easy.  But...  school must go on.

Okay...  we could probably break for the holiday, but I am determined to finish out the week.  Being sick is an annoyance, but one I can work around. The two week vacation is much anticipated. 

My teenager is independent.  My fifth grader finds me when she needs me.  Today, she found me for the “Do with Mom” part of her grammar assignment.


We have just begun using Rod and Staff grammar.  For years I have been loyal to a different English program, but I fell in love with the way Rod and Staff teaches writing.  Since Heart of Dakota recommends doing a lot of each lesson orally (so it is more online with Charlotte Mason’s philosophy of short lessons), I find that I can see areas where my child may  struggling quickly.  

Homeschooling while sick can present challenges.  For instance, losing my voice means no read-alouds today.  But lessons will still happen and my daughters will still learn and have a productive  day.

 With Christmas just days away, I am hoping that I will heal quickly.  Family time and rest time is important.  Of course, as much as I was pushing myself these last few weeks, I am not surprised that I ended up not feeling well.  Sometimes, we just have to give ourselves a break.  I find that if I don't, God gives me one, and it usually isn't one I get to enjoy.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...