Monday, December 18, 2017

Christmas Piano Recital



A couple weeks ago Megan participated in her piano recital.  She takes piano lessons once a week.  I'll be honest, she doesn't practice like she should.  However, I know she is learning and making headway each year, growing and learning and developing her love and knowledge of music. 

Music is a large part of our family.  Megan's aunt and oldest sister lead worship and play piano.  Another sister loves to sing.  Her father plays bass.

Even more, however, Megan has been singing since she was tiny.  She loves music.  She has a natural ability and I want to do what I can to develop those abilities.

 


She played two Christmas songs at her recital.  She was happy that she was able to play for a beautiful lady we call "Grandma" Grace.  Grandma Grace isn't technically Megan's Grandma.  She is a sweet lady that our family has known for a long time.  Megan's recital is at a local Care Center.  She always enjoys performing for the residents, even if it is only a couple of songs.





Music is something that I had to be deliberate about in our homeschool at first.  Yes, we are a family that loves music, but most of us have not had formal lessons.  I was in choir in school, as was my oldest three daughters.  Homeschooling meant that school activities were not available.  My older daughters were on the worship team in church.  My oldest ended up majoring in music in college, and learned piano.

My youngest loves music just as much as her older sister.  She has been in piano lessons for over two years.  She hasn't fallen in love with playing yet, but she is improving and learning to sing while she plays.  I believe that one day she will appreciate these lessons more than she does currently.  I don't see how anyone that loves music as much as Megan does will regret learning to play the piano.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...