Monday, May 9, 2011

The Wonderful Winter - Book Review

Laura and I finished The Wonderful Winter last week as a read aloud for our Heart of Dakota history plans.  Oh, what a fun book!   At first, I was afraid that it was going to be long and dull.  What was I thinking?  Heart of Dakota has such excellent selections that I should have known better, but I read the description and thought... this looks a little long.   I was very wrong.

The story centers around a young boy named Robin.  When he finds a stray puppy, he tries to sneak him into the house.  When his stray is discovered and Robin's aunt takes the puppy away, Robin decides to run away.  He then has adventures that are just thrilling.  Imagine... running away and eventually acting with Shakespeare in the very same plays that Shakespeare wrote!

The story is full of action and adventure, and you begin to feel like you have met the famous play-write yourself by the end of the book.  This was such a wonderful way to introduce young readers to the works of Shakespeare!  Plus, it's so easy to fall in love with Robin and his cute puppy. 

Every time I read one of these books that are just beautiful, I am so glad that I use Heart of Dakota.  The reading selections in Heart of Dakota never cease to surprise me with their quality, God-honoring choices full of depth and interest.  I wish I would have had these selections available to me as a child.  I am blessed to get to share them with my daughters now.

No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...