Tuesday, September 6, 2016

What I Learned By Retaking Algebra


With my plans to begin college in January came college entrance exams.  I took the SAT in my senior year of high school.  But, it's a tad out-dated.  So, with enrolling in college comes taking the community college's entrance exam to discover what classes I ugly need to brush up on.  You know... Remedial classes?  My problem area?  Math.

Ya... Yikes!  I'm a homeschooling mama that has graduated two students and is working on two more.  Well, I am happy to confess that this homeschooling mama hasn't had to do it all.  One daughter began homeschooling after she had taken three years of high school math.  She spent one year teaching herself Trigonometry. 

My next daughter had a tutor for Algebra.  I then invested in Teaching Textbooks, and she completed Algebra II and Geometry.  My current high schooler is taking Geometry after completing Algebra I and II.  I want her to move on to Trigonometry or Pre-Calculus next year.  She is less than enthused. 

I took the placement test last month, knowing my math skills were low.  However, at the time, I had hoped my financial aid would be settled and I could begin immediately, even if it meant a remedial course.  Instead, my financial aid was delayed and I can't begin formal classes until January.  

I began thinking that, since I own the math courses anyway, I could use them for myself and learn the math skills I would need to pass the placement exam, hopefully testing out of any remedial courses. And, for the last month, that is what I have done.  I spent August taking Algebra I.  It is completed.  

There were days I pushed through five or six lessons.  And, since my memories of my own high school math education didn't stick very well, it was almost all new to me.  I struggled in some areas, but kept at it until I understood.

Today I began Algebra II.  Because it has been review, I completed 18 lessons.  I know it will get tough soon.  I plan to retake the test in the next couple weeks, but I will power through my lessons until that day to keep the material fresh in my brain.  I have learned that math is something that if I don't use it, I wil lose it. 

Because of this, I am placing more emphasis on mathematics in our homeschool.  I love reading and books and verbal stuff, but I know that my children need to be strong in math.  Whatever that decide to do with their lives, I want them to have the education to succeed.  

I firmly believe that God doesn't waste any education.  I don't know if any of my children will enter into a career that requires upper-level math skills.  However, they will have some of them either way, in preparation for whatever and wherever God calls.




No comments:

Depriving our Students of the Classics

  In December 27, 2020, an article was published concerning a push to remove the classics from education. Entitled  Even Homer Gets Mobbed ,...